Tuesday, January 11, 2011

New Year Resolutions and My Christmas Break

1. Write 2 resolutions and goals for the coming year ~ Be sure to include rationale/ explanations to support your ideas.

New year resolutions are made when a person looks back on previous years and wants to change their lifestyle and habits for the better. People must keep to their word and carry out their resolutions throughout the new year. I tend to break my resolutions quickly when they are small changes to my lifestyle, but when they are important I do try my hardest to fulfill my goals. The problem is I do not make important resolutions any more, so this year I made two resolutions that I think I should complete, because these resolutions will prove useful in the future.

My first resolution is to spend more time with my dog. My dog is more like my brother and he is close to me, because I grew up with him. I do not know why, but something about animals makes me happier and I think they have the same effect on other people, too. Spending time with my dog strengthens my bond with him and also makes me cheerful, but these days I do not have enough time to play with him, because I have loads of work and other jobs to finish. My mom often reminds how important it is to play with him, because he is quite lonely. I am going to fulfill this resolution by playing catch with my dog, taking him on long walks, talking to him, and making sure he feels appreciated and loved. This year I am going to accomplish this for not only me, but also for my dog.

The second resolution that I have set for myself this new year is to enhance a life of an under-privileged. This is usually the goal of my family and I and we have strongly beliefs in it, because there are so many lives that are less fortunate and every child has a right to a bright future. People that are in needy situations require our assistance. I am going to carry out this resolution by sponsoring a child and paying for the child's health benefits using programs such as this one: Sparsh Vachana. This group works in helping children with physical disabilities. For more information go to this site:

Everyone has a right to health, food, and shelter and it is the responsibility of the people of the entire world to help each other for we are all one people, one family. And a family rejoices in success together, but also face problems together.




2. Write a snapshot from your holidays.

The Arabian desert in Dubai was an ocean of golden sand that seemed to stretch endlessly into the horizon. We bounced on our seats in our car and screamed as we slid across hills of sand and rocketed to the tourist spot that included dune buggies to ride. Skidding to a halt, we held on tight to our seat belts and gazed outside. The sun was moving down in the pink and yellow colored sky, as the land welcomed dusk. When we were finally able to take our eyes off the beautiful sky, we were once more interested by what we saw. People were riding dune buggies in a large patch of sunlit sand. The bikers were wearing huge grins and were having the time of their lives.

We trudged in the heavy sand to the man in charge of the dune buggies and my brother and I hopped upon a dune buggy as my parents paid the man. The engine whirred as we started it up and I beamed. The tires that were specially used for riding across sand rotated as we began our journey across the restricted circle of sand that we were to ride around. I felt the wind in my face and my heart pumping rapidly. We traveled across the sand quickly and I could tell my brother, who was driving the vehicle, was making it go too fast for I was literally falling out of my seat. I gripped my seat cushion, in hopes that my hold was strong enough to save me from toppling on the the ground. Luckily, the dune buggy-man indicated my brother to slow down. The rest of the ride was a breeze and relaxing yet exhilarating at the same time. The dune buggy stopped abruptly in its fourth or fifth round of the sand-circle as the man told us our time was up.

This ride was short and only lasted about 40 minutes, but in my mind minutes were hours, so it will always be a thrilling and memorable experience to share.


My dune buggy ride on the sand dunes.

1 comment:

  1. I did this in Oman!! It was loadz of fun!!

    ReplyDelete