Monday, August 16, 2010

“History is a guide to navigation in perilous times. History is who we are and why we are the way we are.”


When archaeologists dig up ancient artifacts, when they run their fingers across an old statue, a clue that there had been Gods and Goddesses long ago, when they wipe off their dusty hands and they haul the broken pottery from the endless pit of time, do they know the full story of the items they are handling? Geographers study the land and find clues from the past, but do they connect the window of the past to the window of the future? Do archaeologist or geographers get a perspective of life that started it all and enable us to accomplish more? Do they watch as the words on the historical sheaves of paper flow into the air and morph in to a tale no one alive has ever heard? Do their fingers move to command, translating old languages that are barely used by the people today, into modern languages, so that the young, eager readers of the future can open their minds to the history of civilization? These were the very fascinating facts that persuaded me to be a historian.

A historian is a multi-dimensional job. A historian has multiple faces:

  • A historian is a teacher who answers questions about the past, yet he is a student who questions the past. I believe I could be a good teacher when others are in the amidst of confusion because I have always been able to help people when they were having trouble and I can be a student who creates answers by making mistakes because I learn from the past, like a historian, who learns from studying the past. I can instruct others, but I leave the realization for them to discover. I believe I have the patience and attention span to be a good student.
  • A historian is a writer who records the past events and discoveries, yet he is a reader who opens his mind to possibilities and impossibilities. I believe I can be a writer who can preserve memories for the coming future, for I love to write and record my life in a diary and write stories. I unlock new gates that lead to creativity whenever I write. I believe I can be a reader who molds new worlds, but never strays afar from reality because I have a vast imagination and I can read anywhere and anytime.
  • A historian is a detective who finishes the story that has forever been a mystery, yet he is an explorer who reaches the ends of the earth in his mind. I believe I can be a detective when there is problem to be solved and when everyone is afraid to step into the vague unsolved situation because in any difficulty I search and do not stop till I find the answer, no matter how distant and hard it is. I can think of different strategies and find the path to my solution. Like a historian I believe I can be explorer because of my adventurous attitude and my thirst for new places and knowledge.

I believe I can be a historian.

A historian at his work. dynamicearthwebquest.com/process.htm

A historian is a teacher, a student, a writer, a reader, a detective and an explorer.
www.thefreedictionary.com/historian

15 years later...

I gasped with a mixture of excitement and surprise. I had finally finished translating the early writings from Greece and now before me was the completed story. All the little facts, that I thought were not important, had been knitted into a quilt of tales. Sifting through the translated papers and then looking out the musty window to see the Parthenon in Athens, Greece I wore an expression of awe, so much had changed. I smiled. I knew that this was the job for me, ever since I was 11 years old.

My fellow co-worker. Ha, ha. Just kidding. It's actually Mark Ritts. www.insmogandthunder.com/historian.html


The Parthenon in Athens, Greece
picsdigger.com/keyword/partheon/








No comments:

Post a Comment